Monday, July 5, 2010

I Ain't Lion

Two of my past My Town Mondays have been about the Amarillo Zoo and The Big Texan Steak Ranch. This week I am combining the two.

The Big Texan is world famous for it's 72 ounce steak. The restaurant has been featured in movies television shows, and magazines.

The Amarillo Zoo while far from famous has made drastic improvements in recent years, including the addition of African lions.

As part of the local Independence Day celebration the zoo hosted Red , White and Zoo days this past Saturday. As part of that celebration Solomon, the zoo's resident male lion took part in a challenge ... to break the 90 second record time for consuming the 72.oz steak. A Bengal tiger set that record back in the 70's. (Competitive eater, Joey Chestnut holds the human record time of 8 minutes and 52 seconds.)

For Solomon's attempt I was there taking video with my phone.

This first video is a shot of a Big Texan employee showing everyone what a 72oz steak looks like.




Solomon was an eager participant, coming out of the gates and going right for the meat.



But ... the 90 second mark came and went and still the lion was eating.

At 2 minutes 11 seconds Solomon finished off the steak and went on the prowl for more.



For more My Town Monday posts hop on over to the official My Town Monday Blog.

15 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Damn, 72 ounce steak!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Solomon says, "I'm a dainty eater -- so sue me!"

Barrie said...

What a great publicity stunt on the part of the zoo and the restaurant! I am sooo annoyed. I wrote my MTM post last night. Went to proof it and post it this a.m. AND IT TOTALLY DISAPPEARED! I'm sure I did something to make this happen, but I'm not sure what. :(

Charles Gramlich said...

So Tigers really are superior to lions.

Reb said...

Solomon knows better than to bolt his food!

Texanne said...

Debra's right--what's wrong with a dainty eater? Very cute idea, too! The third video wouldn't load for me, but, um, is that a sheep in the foreground? Mercy!

Old Kitty said...

Is that you speaking with your little boy?? Awwwww!

Go Solomon! :-)

Take care
x

Lana Gramlich said...

My friend claims to have eaten that steak. I don't know, but I know how he eats & I can believe it.

DrillerAA09 said...

I cannot believe that the human record is under nine minutes! That is just sick.

Barbara Martin said...

72 ounces of steak would last me a week.

Solomon was probably savouring every bite.

DrillerAA09 said...

I can't believe that the human record is under nine minutes! That is just sick.

Monnik said...

Good grief - 72 ounces?

I'm surprised the Tiger beat out the Lion. I wonder if the deck was stacked... maybe the Tiger was hungrier or something.

Ricky Bush said...

Saw that steak advertised multiple times while travelling between Red River, NM and Dallas over the long weekend. Might have been tempted, but the in-laws had lunch ready for us in Amarillo, so I didn't dare to show up with a full belly.

the walking man said...

I think I could do the steak it's the other stuff you have to eat as well that would do me in.

Anonymous said...

I'm more fascinated with the kangaroo than the 72oz steak. Those things can MOVE!